Although vein issues aren't as widely publicized as heart conditions, they are equally widespread. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 8.5 million Americans have a vascular condition called peripheral artery disease, including up to 20 percent of older adults. At Lakeview Regional Physician Group, our team of vascular physicians can help keep your veins healthy. We provide vascular care services such as vein imaging, management of conditions such as deep vein thrombosis and peripheral vascular disease, and surgery for varicose veins and other vascular issues.
Training for Vascular Specialists
A vascular specialist is a type of doctor with advanced training and experience in issues that affect the veins. After medical school, vascular surgeons complete either a three-year vascular surgery residency and two-year core surgical training residency or a five-year residency in general surgery followed by a two-year vascular fellowship. Vascular specialists are qualified to provide medical treatment for all issues affecting the veins.
Types of Vascular Procedures
With decades of experience and extensive fellowship training, our vascular specialists can help diagnose and treat uncomfortable and even dangerous vein issues. The following are some of the most common procedures we perform:
- Management of peripheral vascular disease, which may include medications, supervised exercise, and/or an angioplasty or graft to help reopen or bypass a clogged artery
- Laser treatment to help remove varicose veins, which are often a cosmetic issue for our clients but can cause discomfort
- Medical and/or surgical treatment for deep vein thrombosis (DVT), a blood clot deep in the leg that can lead to stroke, heart attack, or pulmonary embolism
- Medical and/or surgical treatment for pulmonary embolism, in which a DVT breaks free and lodges in the lung
- Minimally invasive procedures known as AV fistulas to remove clots and clogs and help restore healthy blood flow
- Wound care and dressing changes, especially for non healing wounds caused by poor circulation
- Removal of wound sutures and staples
Our Team of Vascular Specialists
Lakeview Regional Physician Group provides vascular services at our convenient locations in Hammond, Lacomb, and Slidell. You'll receive care from one of the vascular specialists on our team:
- Dr. David Kaplan, who has more than 20 years of experience in vascular surgery and graduated from Louisiana State University School of Medicine
- Dr. Ali Khoobehi, who has been practicing for more than a decade and graduated from the New York University School of Medicine before completing a fellowship at Harvard University
If you're experiencing symptoms of vein issues, such as leg pain, numbness, visible veins, or wounds that won't heal, contact the vascular team at Lakeview Regional Physician Group for a consultation. Make an appointment online or call your local office.